Re: [Gm2] Rant against ISO Libraries (bis)

From: john o goyo
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Rant against ISO Libraries (bis)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:45:45 -0500

Greetings:

Gaius Mulley wrote:
john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

Greetings:

As an exercise in using the ISO library, I wrote a wee hex-dumper.  It
works with the ISO-compliant compilers at my disposal: GPM on Linux
and Solaris, and XDS on Linux.  I thought that I would test it with
GM2 by defining those bits of the ISO library needed.

sounds interesting..
I could always post it to modula2.org.  (It is fairly simple with the
only complications coming the ISO libraries.)

[...]
yes the libraries in Modula-2 are its Achilles heel. No sockets.
I'd have preferred a clean interface to the Posix 1003 (?) standard.
I'm not sure which came first though. However I like FIO and
DynamicStrings (although neither are PIM or ISO :-)

IEEE 1003.1 issued in 1988 and ISO/IEC 10514-1 issued in 1996.  (Mind you,
work started much, much earlier -- I read Pat Terry's reminiscences of the
long sad sorry tale of the process on his website.)

Sincerely,
john

I also wonder how complex types found their way into the core
language. Not that this is a problem for gm2 (or wont be) as the back
end gcc supports this nicely. I would have thought that complex types
would be better served by a hidden type and functional programming -
and introducing the __INLINE__ keyword to make functions very
inexpensive. It would keep the language smaller. Does anyone use
complex types in M2 ?