Re: [GM2] More news about building gm2, on a FreeBSD machine.

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [GM2] More news about building gm2, on a FreeBSD machine.
Date: 24 May 2005 14:39:01 +0100

Michel Derosa <address@hidden> writes:

> For the curious, since i haven't submitted the 'docs' yet..
>
>    mkdir <builddir>
>    cd <builddir>
>    env CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash CC=gcc32 ../gcc-3.3.5/configure \
>       --with-system-zlib --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,gm2 \
>       --program-prefix=test
>    gmake
>    <etc...>
>
> > I've added a section to gm2.texi on building GNU Modula-2 under FreeBSD
> > though I've not added the information as I wondered whether you would like
> > to write it, given that you can step by step test the procedure?
>
> Be glad to.. indeed by now i've gotten quite familiar with it *grin*
>
> oh can you confirm that gm2 'normally' builds on systems still using the
> 2.95.x series of gnu C ? I remember on the gm2 site, it used to be the
> recommended compiler, but i can't find that reference anymore.. And i'd like
> to make sure, so as not to mislead people running FreeBSD 4.x (who are using
> a 2.95.x compiler, as their system cc), since for them 1 of the 2 main
> concerns (which compiler is used to build gm2) would go away.

Hi Michel,

many thanks for your experiments and solutions. I removed the
gcc-2.95.x recommendation - as I was able to build with later gcc
versions. [I build with gcc-3.3.5 on my pure64 GNU/Linux debian box.]
I think your table in the other email is very informative and
this needs to be placed onto the GNU Modula-2 web site.

Incidentally - hopefully soon (ish) I'll have in place a small compile
farm which will build gm2 on a number of platforms each and every
night and generate an html summary. Thanks to one of my project
students.

I've installed: FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0 as one of the nodes - yet to
install dejagnu though, but I can report that it builds and make
gm2.paranoid works successfully on this platform using your patches -
many thanks..