Re: [Gm2] Saviour on Solaris 10

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Saviour on Solaris 10
Date: 20 Aug 2005 23:19:47 +0100

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings:
>
> It seem that you may now be our only hope for ISO-complaince under
> Solaris 10, Gaius.  GPM Modula-2 does not work under Solaris 10 --
> everything dumps core. I asked GPM about this and received the
> following response (along with my request sent August 3rd).
>
> ====[mail begins]====
> Greetings:
>
> On 2005-08-03, John Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi John, hi all.
>  >
>  > There is a known problem with the solaris version that has to do
>  > with the alignment of value parameters of IEEE double type.
>  >
>  > Early versions of  solaris used only 4-byte alignment (for params,
>  > locals and statics were always 8-byte aligned) but later
>  > versions do a copy of the incoming value to a 8-byte aligned location.
>  > In principle we could fix this if it is a really big issue.
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Is there a workaround?  At present, both gpm and gpmake core dump so
> that I cannot even build helloworld.
>
> Sincerely,
> john
> ====[mail ends]====
>
> I have yet to receive a reply and fear for the worst, namely that they
> will abandon Modula-2 under Solaris.  (I know that this begs the
> question of the worth of ISO Modula-2 but that is another story. #6-)
>
> Sincerely,
> john

Hi John,

thanks for the kind words.. I guess this is the advantage of
targeting the m2 front end to the GCC backend - the huge coverage and
(potentially) the portability (standing on the shoulders of giants
etc.. and largely not having to worry about the backend).  I'm
committed to m2 (still my favorite procedural compiled language).
Small enough to be easily understood, yet flexible enough to range
from compiler writing, discrete event simulators down to microkernel
implementation.