Re: [Gm2] libiberty and the cygwin build failure

From: Christoph Schlegel
Subject: Re: [Gm2] libiberty and the cygwin build failure
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:23:53 +0200

Andreas Fischlin schrieb:
Dear Christoph,

I understand you are maintaining "Free Modula-2 Pages"? If yes, please, make the following changes:

Modula-2 syntax aware editors
---------------------------------------

The web page at http://freepages.modula2.org/m2in1.html#editor should also mention the Alpha editor family. Alpha editors are very powerful (one of the best editors I have ever worked with) and very customizable, since tcl based. I'm since year the maintainer of the M2 mode, specifically designed and maintained by my group since a long time for Modula-2 programming using Alpha editors. These days the M2 mode is released with any standard release of any Alpha editor, but the M2 mode can still be obtained separately from following website:

    http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/SimSoftware.html#RAMSES_Extras
and
    http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/SimSoftware2.html#M2_Mode

Information on the Alpha editor family is available at

- AlphaX (Mac OS X): http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/Software/AlphaX - AlphaTk (Windows): http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/Software/Alphatk
  - Alpha (legacy Mac OS Classic):     http://www.kelehers.org/alpha/
ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/pub/alpha/

The Alpha editor family is tcl based and uses

- AlphaTcl (all platforms):     http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wikit/

MacMETH (compilers)
------------------------------
At http://freepages.modula2.org/compi.html you mention MacMETH. It would be good to update that information a bit, since it sounds very old given that you mention there it would fit onto floppy disks. If you follow this link, you find there more uptodate text that would better fit into the description. (http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/RAMSES/MacMETH.html)

Then I suggest to mention in this context also the large RAMSES (http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/RAMSES/RAMSES_Welcome.html), of which MacMETH forms only a small part. RAMSES is still fully maintained, used, and described on our website (automatically updated during any release and describing in much detail the many software layers we've build during the years using Modula-2). How about providing the following brief desription of RAMSES:

RAMSES is a generic programing, modeling, and simulation environment that allows you to solve a wide range of problems easily (Fischlin 1991 <http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/RAMSES/RAMSES_Welcome.html#Fischlin91>). You can program or model and interactively solve non-linear differential equations, difference equations, and discrete event systems in any combination; size and complexity of your model is only limited by your computer's resources. RAMSES is based on the Modula-2 programing language (Wirth 1985 <http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/RAMSES/RAMSES_Welcome.html#Wirth85>, 1988 <http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/SimSoftware/RAMSES/RAMSES_Welcome.html#Wirth88>) that supports the writing of simple, compact, well-readable, type-safe, modular and easily reusable programs that execute at high speed.

Thanks for your help and cooperation.
Sincerely yours,
Andreas Fischlin

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

address@hidden
www.sysecol.ethz.ch/staff/af

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax

Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!
* *

Dear Andreas,

I updated the information about MacMETH. There is already a link to RAMSES in the Libraries/Sources section of the Modula-2 Pages where I think it's at the right place? But I put up a link to RAMSES on the (now updated) compilers page too. I also added links to the Alpha editors but this is a bit problematic as these are not free software (Shareware) as I understand.

Kind regards

Christoph

---AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM)---