Re: [Gm2] CASE: gm2-4.1.2 of 2011-11-08 bug (or possibly philosophical d

From: john o goyo
Subject: Re: [Gm2] CASE: gm2-4.1.2 of 2011-11-08 bug (or possibly philosophical difference)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:30:55 -0500

On 13-Nov-11, at 4:11 p, Manfred Hollstein wrote:

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011, 21:44:48 +0100, john o goyo wrote:
On 13-Nov-11, at 6:45 a, Gaius Mulley wrote:
[...]
Hi Gary,

yes I think this is why I didn't skip the test in gm2 1.0.  But I
concede that in huge legacy code bases it could be painful to add ELSE
to each variant record.  As you say it is also easy to disable the
check
anyway.

Legacy code is exactly my problem.  There are a lot of such cases --
not just with variant records but also incomplete case selections in
code.

FWIW, but to be honest, I really hate to implement some workarounds in a tool whose purpose should just be to compile a properly defined language
into machine code... I normally try to _educate_ every person who
contacts me wrt/ "could the compiler not do this to save me from doing
that?", that (s)he should fix the anomalies in their own code, because
the next time, they'll complain about other non-portabilities...

This is not a question of workarounds. PIM3 allows incomplete CASE statements. If gm2 is to allow PIM3 syntax, then it must allow incomplete CASE statements.

As for "anomalies" in existing code, the legacy code I mention followed PIM3 and compiled under PIM3 compilers -- including the ETH compilers. My intention is not to edit the code, it is to compile it. If someday, I decide to actually maintain the code or use it for some other purpose, then I will modify it to conform to ISO but not before.

john

john

Just my 2 ยข ;-)

Cheers..