Re: [Gm2] Ubuntu/gm2 - general question

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Ubuntu/gm2 - general question
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:43:25 +0000

Tom Sørensen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello group,
>
> I'm in the process of setting up a Linux development environment, and consider
> using Ubuntu 12.04 (brand new hardware).
>
> Ultimately I would like to get back into Modula-2 programming. Looking at the
> GNU Modula-2 site (http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/overview.html) I was not able to
> figure out if gm2 is tied to a specific version of GCC, or (even worse) if the
> Ubuntu distribution would prevent me from using gm2.
>
> I would appreciate any input to guide me in this matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Hi Tom,

you should be able to install the gm2 debian package.  However you will
need to either copy:

   crt1.o  crti.o  crtn.o

(use 'locate crt1.o' to find where these files reside).

into your current build directory.  Or alternatively copy these files
into the gm2 system wide directory.  I think this is because of a change
between the gcc grafted with gm2 and the default gcc Ubuntu uses.

Once this is done (I've use the first method with Ubuntu and also Mint)
successfully,