Re: [Gm2] moving gm2 repository to git

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] moving gm2 repository to git
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:16:08 +0000

john <address@hidden> writes:

> On 28-Jan-13, at 11:02 AM, Gaius Mulley wrote:
>
>> Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone has objections to moving the gm2 repository
>>> over to using git?
>>>
> [...]
>> to clarify I was suggesting the repository remains at savannah, just
>> using git to push/pull the source code changes.  All that would change
>> is a few urls and the cvs commands are replaced by the git
>> equivalents,
>
> Modulo -- no pun intended -- getting gcc 4.7 to build on my box and
> building
> a git distribution, I do have one question.  My (possibly mistaken)
> understanding
> is that git is a fully distributed RCS.  How much is actually
> downloaded per checkout?
> (I ask because my bandwidth is limited.)
>
> john

Hi John,

I don't think that git would generate any more traffic than cvs.
Probably likely that it could be less as it runs hashes at each end.
As with cvs, git can incrementally update a snapshot.  I notice that
git is much faster than cvs - which is probably a good indicator for
less traffic.  I'm on a 2MB line at home - albeit unlimited,