Re: [Gm2] missing downloads for macport of gm2

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] missing downloads for macport of gm2
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:02:48 +0000

Matthias Hegner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hallo,
> while trying to install gm2 on OS-X 10.6.8 (Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0)
> by following the instructions given in
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/osx.html.
>
> I asserted lots of failures when the port command tried to fetch the sources
> from various locations (see the log-file "main.log" which is attached to
> that message). I ended up with an incomplete directory tree for the sources.
> E.g. when looking into the directory
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_username_MacPorts_ports_lang_gm2-latest/gm2-latest/work/gcc-4.1.2/gcc/
> you can't see a directory named "gm2*/".
> So my first question is: to which locations has the sourcecode for gm2 been
> moved? Did anybody here succeed in installing gm2-latest by using macports
> in the last few weeks? How has he managed that?
> I add the information that I updated OS-X 10.6.8 as well as macports to
> macports 2.1.3 last week.
> The command `sudo port list` shows among others:
> gm2-latest                     @4.1.2          lang/gm2-latest
> gm2-latest                     @4.1.2          lang/gm2-latest
> so gm2 shouldn't be out of the competition.
>
> Is it possible to use the tarball from
> http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/download/c/   gcc-4.1.2+gm2-1.0.4.tar.gz
> to install gm2 by using configure, make and make install on OS-X?
> I doubt that because the Portfile for macports did a lot of patches
> to the downloaded source which seems to be missing for the tarball mentioned
> above. So the sources for linux and OS-X may be different.
>
> In addition I suffer from a minor problem with the `port livecheck` command.
> `livecheck` appears in the last three lines of
> /Users/username/MacPorts/ports/lang/gm2-latest/Portfile.
> E.g. calling the command `portindex` results in the following  error message
>
> Creating port index in /Users/yihongxu/MacPorts/ports
> Failed to parse file lang/gm2-latest/Portfile: invalid command name
> "livecheck.check"
>
> Total number of ports parsed:   1
> Ports successfully parsed:      0
> Ports failed:                   1
> Up-to-date ports skipped:       0
>
> which only disappears when commenting the last 3 lines of Portfile.
> It's similar for the command `sudo port build gm2-latest`.
> Am I right to guess that this problem is related to the missing
> source code of gm2?
>
> I really would appreciate it if someone can help me to get a working
> modula2 compiler on the Mac up and running.
>
> Yours sincerely
>   M.Hegner

Hi Matthias,

at the moment the macport version of gm2 appears to be broken.  I got
somewhere with getting gm2 running on snow leopard some years ago by
taking the macports version of 4.1.2 and placing the gm2 tree inside the
source and rebuilding it.  This is in essence what the macport entry
attempts to automate on the gm2 website.  It does look however if things
have broken a little since.

Work is currently underway to migrate gm2 onto the 4.7.x branch of gcc
which hopefully will give us a more update platform,