[Gm2] Still struggling with gm2-4.7.3 on Solaris/sparc

From: john o goyo
Subject: [Gm2] Still struggling with gm2-4.7.3 on Solaris/sparc
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 17:19:38 -0400

The build is currently failing with gm2-2014-04-20. (It fails trying to link stage1/gm2/cc1gm2.)

Leaving aside gcc-4.7.3 for a bit, I tried building with Sun C 5.12. (After all, the GCC docs do claim that any ANSI-compliant compiler works.) Configure seems to become easily confused with the 32/64-bit options. For the source to be compiled in 64-bit mode consistently required environment variables such as CC="cc -m64", CXX="CC -m64", and so on. Even then, many source files were compiled in 32-bit mode. (Configure may pay lip-service to other compilers but the builds do not seem to work properly without gcc.) I gave up.

I do not understand why earlier builds succeeded and now fail. (Mind, had one of my developers complained to me about this, I would have suggested that something in the environment had changed. I do not know what. I have a dedicated build account that stays constant.)

It does appear that configure is confused about the 32/64-bit dichotomy. Solaris/sparc code typically appears in both versions (with the 32-bit versions in $LIB and the 64-bit versions in $LIB/64, where LIB is the appropriate directory). Specifying sparcv9 should trigger 64-bit compilation but sometimes it does not.

So I am starting de nuovo, building gcc-4.7.3 (and required helpers) in both configurations, and then moving on to gm2. I will keep the group posted.

john