Re: [Gm2] Building gm2-4.7.3 on Solaris 10/sparc

From: John Long
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Building gm2-4.7.3 on Solaris 10/sparc
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 14:55:55 +0000

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 02:28:23PM -0400, john o goyo wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> On 30/08/2014 15:54, John Long wrote (in part):
> >In your other email you mentioned setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH which I have heard
> >many times is not a good idea on Solaris. They recommend using the -R option
> >to bake the libraries into the run path.
>
> It is true that released binaries (even internally released
> binaries) should not depend on LD_LIBRARY_PATH*.  As you (and
> others) wrote,
> released binaries should have paths baked in via -R/path/to/lib or
> -R$ORIGIN/sub/path.  The environment variables LD_LIBRARY_PATH* exist
> for use when either the library locations change independently of the
> callers or when development versions are being tested.

Thanks for the clarification John. I have found many Linux apps don't do
well on Solaris because of this issue and Solaris's path hell. I wanted
to raise the issue so people like you and whoever else is building it could
evaluate if it had any bearing on gm2 for Solaris. As you know if this
doesn't get done right during the build then living with it afterwards is a
pain that never goes away.

The platform is increasingly less and less supported, especially SPARC so
I'm trying to keep updated on the projects that have SPARC support.

Thanks for all your hard work on gm2!

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD