Re: [Gm2] GM2 & R10

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] GM2 & R10
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 22:48:08 +0100

Gour <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I’ve become interested for Modula-2 (maybe 15 years too late :-) and
> just ordered some books to start with it.
>
> There is m2c compiler available, but GM2 seems to be more robust. In any
> case GM2 is the reason I’ll go back to Debian (from VoidLinux) in order
> not to fiddle with packaging it.
>
> However, one of the main reasons why I’ve become interested for Modula-2
> is R10 revision which is work in progress, but after exchanging several
> mails with the Benjamin (main developer) I am convinced it’s going to be
> very fine language.
>
> Naturally, I’m interested if there is plan to work on adding support to
> R10 in GM2?

Hi Gour,

yes there is a plan to implement M2R10 into gm2.  Currently I'm still
porting gm2 to different architectures and fixing bugs.

> Lastly, considering I plan to write multi-platform open-source app in
> Modula-2 I wonder if there are any bindings available (GTK, wx, Qt…)?

not that I'm aware of - however bindings for X11 have been worked on by
users.  I think the above should be possible with the language
extensions (DEFINITION MODULE FOR "C") and varargs,

> Thank you for your work on the compiler for fine language.

thank you for your interest in Modula-2