[Gm2] next commit

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] next commit
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:44:50 +0000

Hi,

I've quite a few commits to push, a few on the 4.7.4 branch of gm2.  I'd
like to create a new branch (5.2.0) for the latest section of commits.
This new branch will have a new bootstrap program which is currently in
development.  The 5.2.0 build requires the source to be bootstrapped via
g++ (rather than gcc).  This has required many changes (mostly for the
good), the code is cleaner etc.

However the p2c bootstrap tool does not produce clean C11 or g++ code
and after working on p2c for a week - I decided to write (mc) a Modula-2
(PIM4) to C, C++, M2 translator.  This is not yet complete - but it
almost translates all definition modules, types and constants.  It
understands PIM4 and most GNU M2 extensions.  It uses a 5 pass technique
and the ebnf grammar tool (pg) and flex - much code borrowed from gm2.
I estimate it is about 70% complete.  It can also run the C preprocessor,
if needed and will not need FORWARD declarations.  Mc will also generate
human readable code and use the exact naming scheme that gm2 uses.  It
does not support local modules at present,