Re: [Gm2] gm2 build impasse

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] gm2 build impasse
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 17:44:11 +0100

Steve Giess <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Gaius,
>
> Thank you for the reply. By the way, I've been subsequently informed
> that there is an npth library, which may be the preferred replacement
> for pth. Now I've not studied either pthsem or npth to make any
> suggestions as to which is the best replacement route - I'll leave
> that to the experts!
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Hello Steve,

I've downloaded both pthsem and npth.  The pthsem project is a
superset (fork) of gnu pth.  The critical issue for the gm2 libraries is
that it needs access to make context and switch context.  From these
primitives it builds TRANSFER/IOTRANSFER/NEWPROCESS.  The npth doesn't
have such primitives - which forces the choice.  Another solution would
be to fork gnupth and throw away everything apart from the context
primitives and include this inside gm2.  However if pthsem gains
acceptance then this is unnecessary,