Re: Hardest part every time :) - start.

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: Hardest part every time :) - start.
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:02:31 +0100

Dragiša Durić <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello people,
>
> After some (pretty long time) I am trying to restart my Modula-2
> projects.
>
> This time I have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on mu laptop. First thing, of
> course, I tried to get .deb from floopsie. I got it, installed it and
> it... failed. Problem is - Ubuntu has libmpfr.so.6 and floopsie's deb
> is build with .so.4.

Hello Dragiša,

yes indeed libmpfr is different between Ubuntu and Debian.

> Ok, this is easy, I thought... just get source tarball from floopsie
> and that will unravel.
>
> Yes, but no... No instructions in archive. Presumably, all of us are
> building .deb's three times per day, or something. Ok, I google. But,
> Ubuntu does not have dh_make, it has dh_builddev... But in end, it
> failed. It looks for DEBIAN/control, when I rename debian to DEBIAN it
> fails because at some step debian/control was missing...
>
> (BTW, I made a number of RPM recipes in past, and RPM is blessing
> compared to this unholy mess.)
>
> Ok, I give up on .deb. But look, this source archive comes with
> already combined-in trees. I get into gm2 folder, mkdir build, cd
> build, ..configure... make SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> Wow, it actually works... Compilation starts and for some time no
> purple, no cyan... Nice! I leave it and go to sleep.

it is probably best to use --disable-bootstrap in the configure.

> Is it possible to get some sensible instructions, or binary releases
> or anything except "Run son, run from Modula-2, and do not look back!"

ah yes thanks for the feedback - I'll rewrite the build section of the
manual.  In the meanwhile it might be worth trying out the git repro,
the master branch is pretty stable:

$ cd $HOME
$ mkdir -p GM2/graft-combine
$ cd GM2/graft-combine
$ git clone http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/gm2 gm2-floppsie

then run this build script:

$ ./remake-master-test 4   # where 4 is the number of processors you
                           # want to dedicate to the build

it will build and run the dejagnu testsuite
(configured to install everything under $HOME/opt-test).

(it should also be work if you wanted to test the gm2-9 branch).
Probably a good idea to read the script and adjust/improve for a
different build directory and other settings etc

Hope this helps,