Re: Partial success building the trunk on MSYS2/Windows platform

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: Partial success building the trunk on MSYS2/Windows platform
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 15:04:33 +0000

"Fischlin  Andreas" <andreas.fischlin@env.ethz.ch> writes:

> I fully concur with Benjamin’s arguments. gm2 developers please listen. ;-)
> Thanks.
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

yes indeed - thanks for the prod - I've been contemplating these ideas.

It does make sense to move the sized types (CARDINAL8 et al) out of
SYSTEM and place them to their own definition module, say gcc_CARDINAL8.
The gcc_CARDINAL8 implementation module could implement the range
checking found in gcc/m2/m2expr.cc and also draw upon the gcc internal
datatypes (and ranger functions) if they are supported and if not then
execute modula-2.  Furthermore there shouldn't be a performance penalty
(if the hardware supports the datatypes) as the procedure functions
could be inlined.

I've wanted to simplifiy m2expr.cc and also re-implement large sets -
and the above approach - would achieve both changes,