gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] A logo Idea!

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] A logo Idea!
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:07:40 -0500

El vie, 09-10-2009 a las 10:55 +0100, Stefan Price escribió:
> After reading the digest I decided to look at the NuevoSentido themes.
> I liked the first one, but I think the second logo idea is falling too
> far away from the original theme (sorry!)

Yes, I think you're right.

>  after all we want people to be able to identify gNewSense easily and
> effectively, I believe that going too far will only lead to confusion.
> With this in mind I decided to take a simple approach to not loose the
> original Idea, but also to make identification easier. I believe the
> Ideas are Strong enough to not be lost by the simplification of the
> logo.
>
> http://lh6.ggpht.com/_XXzNAsOmKMs/Ss8A3hcgEQI/AAAAAAAAAHw/pHfm-6wUOpc/logo.png

Actually, I think the "original idea" of the logo is harder to identify
in your modification. The original logo is a tree and a person at the
same time, and, in the foliage, you can see the shape of a gnu. So, as I
see it (because I don't know the idea of the original author), we have
nature, humanity and GNU.

I have asked some people that have never seen the logo before: what do
you think it is? (I'm talking about the logo you see in the website).
The answer is always: a tree. Two persons said it was a bonsai, which is
the same thing. The other hidden shapes are not easy to identify,
specially the gnu, but, when you show them, you can hear an "Aaah,
yeah!".

Try to do the same excercise with your logo and see what happens. I
already did it :)

> I have also contributed a link button with a new slogan "Freedom has
> no price" to go with the "free as in freedom"

I'd suggest to change the contrast between background and foreground, it
is hard to read.

> Hope this has been helpful and I would appreciate crits of my work!!
>
> thanks!

Thank you, Stefan.