Re: sms timeouts

From: Leos Tovarek, Ph.D.
Subject: Re: sms timeouts
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:01:40 +0300

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Leos Tovarek, Ph.D. wrote:
>
> > I believe that for a user (person or program) a control over sendsms'
> > timeout
> > is desirable as the response time depends both on an operator's properties
> > and an actual technical state (load, failures).
>
> Remember that libgnokii is used not only by interactive applications. For
> the apps that do automatic SMS sending (like smsd) infinite timeout seems
> unacceptable.
>
> pkot

Hi,

This is what I do remember (I use gnokii for automatic sending SMS), that's
why I wrote several lines below that:

> > b) With infinite timeout:
> >     ...a program can call it with time alarm that breaks waiting...

Extracting a part from a text without substantial surroundings can make the
meaning different. But let's leave this matter, please.

Much more important is to deal with a) that concerns to gnokii. Let me remind
it:

> > a) With finite timeout:
> >     It would be nice to have the timeout interval or as a parameter of
> >     sendsms or as a configuration parameter. If so, everybody could
> >     tune it by his actual conditions (etc.).

If there was a possibility to set the timeout a parameter way, then users
could make gnokii working even both way:

    -  If set by mobile operator's properties it could minimize getting errors
       (even calling programs could set its value by actual conditions).

    -  If set great enough it could behave as the semi-infinite timeout.

Wouldn't it be nice?

:))

Leos.