Re: Additional feature for SMSD

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: Additional feature for SMSD
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:51:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Michael Meier wrote:

> no problems, working on first try.
> Sending SMS by using the spool folder works perfect, too.

I'm glad.

> What is missing are some checks for valid input:
> 1) Action: a check if the action file exists would be good to prevent
> loss of incoming sms by a typo in action name. (Message+Quit if not
> existing)

Implemented now.

> 2) Spool-Directory: if the spool directory does not exist (and same if
> no permissions are given i guess) it fails to open it ("Cannot open
> directory ...") but keeps trying every couple of seconds.
> Best thing would probably also be a Message+Quit on startup and on first

I have add test on startup.

> occurance (e.g. if someone deletes the folder while smsd is running)

This I cannot fix without big change in smsd. I have not structure for it.
I think that importance is not high.

> 3) Spool-File Format:
> If the spool file is invalid due to format errors, it prints 4 times
> event 0 failed and then a cannot send sms from path/file. To prevent
> smsd from slowing down or locking up due to too many invalid files there
> it would be better to print a warning to console or errorlog and delete
> the file as it keeps on trying to send the sms.

I think that deleting incorrect files is not good. You have not possibility
to detect errors in format later. I have modify code to prepending 'ERR.'
prefix to file name and to ignore files with 'ERR.' prefix.

> I tried different scenarios but was not able to find any bug, so all i

Thanks for testing. I will update cvs, please test it if you can.

                                        jano

--
I like work, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
                        Jerome Klapka Jerome (Three men in a boat)