Re: Gnokii with infrared on FreeBSD 4.8

From: Tiarnan O'Corrain
Subject: Re: Gnokii with infrared on FreeBSD 4.8
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 06:03:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- Simon Huggins <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 04:24:41AM -0700, Tiarnan O'Corrain wrote:
> > I've activated the IR port in the BIOS, and set it to SIR mode.
> > It seems to be recognized at boot time:
> > # dmesg | grep sio
> > sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> > sio0: type 16550A
> > sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> > sio1: type 16550A
>
> > It shows up as /dev/cuaa1. I can use birda (NetBSD IrDA tools) to
> > establish an irda connection, and to send business cards to and
> from
> > the phone, so FreeBSD IrDA is definitely able to connect to the
> phone.
>
> SIR makes it appear as a serial port.  So I *think* you want
> connection = serial
> if you are trying to get it to work like that but I don't have any
> experience with IrDA on *BSD.

Setting the connection type to serial gets me somewhere:

# gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
IMEI         : (unknown)
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : (unknown)
Revision     : (unknown)

However, all attempts to download the phonebook/send SMS time
out, and xgnokii fails to connection to the phone.

This contrasts unfavourable with birda's ircomm:
# ircomm -r -d /dev/cuaa1 -v 1
discovered Nokia 6210, address=63b4, hints=PnP, Modem, Fax, Telephony,
IrCOMM, IrOBEX
query completed
115200 baud
LAP connected
comm connected

Which seems to know more about the device.  Perhaps gnokii's
IrDA support is Linux specific, in which case my next question
is.... where should I look in the gnokii code to find out what
it sends/receives to the phone for each of the different
functions? Perhaps I can cobble together a FreeBSD port with
working IrDA (there's already one that presumably functions for
data cables).

Cheers

Tiarnan