Re: gnokii charset problems

From: Osma Suominen
Subject: Re: gnokii charset problems
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:09:26 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Pawel Kot wrote:

> At the first reading I thought you are not right with these NOT OK's, but
> apparently you are right. It is possible that some non-Latin1 characters
> maps correctly to the default alphabet.
>
> So the only reasonable reason is to store it all encoded in unicode.

This is not the only possibility. Saving it as Latin1 works about as
well, provided that you first do the conversion from <locale> to Latin1,
which is almost as simple as doing <locale> to Unicode (I assume you
mean UCS2, which you get with mbtowc()).

But I have nothing against using unicode (UCS2) encoding for all SMS
data. That's quite a reasonable thing to do.

But I think applications using libgnokii need to take this into account,
if the SMS content in struct gn_sms is stored in unicode. Or should it
first be in locale-specific charset, with libgnokii doing the
conversion? I'm not quite sure whose responsibility it is to make sure
the data is in unicode.

-Osma

--
*** Osma Suominen *** address@hidden *** http://www.iki.fi/ozone/ ***