Bug in hex encoding for Nokia 8210

From: Diego SANTA CRUZ
Subject: Bug in hex encoding for Nokia 8210
Date: 11 Jun 2003 15:01:32 +0200

Hi there,

I discovered an incompatibility between the hex encoding done by gnokii
(0.5.1) and what is required by a Nokia 8210 phone on an IrDA connection
(using AT protocol).

The phone's phonebook expects all hex numbers to be uppercase in the
+CPBW command when the HEX encoding is set (+CSCS command), but gnokii
formats them in lowercase. When the phone gets them in lowercase it
accepts the data but it gets it all garbled up.

Attached is a patch that fixes this problem by formatting hex numbers in
uppercase. As I don't have other mobile phones I cannot say if this
breaks any other phones.

BTW, why is not a saner encoding, such as 8859-1, used instead of HEX?

Best,

Diego

PS: I'm not in gnokii-users so CC me if necessary.

Diego Santa Cruz - PhD
Publications available at http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta
Signal Processing Institute (LTS1 / ITS / STI)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
EPFL - STI - ITS, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
E-mail:     address@hidden
Phone:      +41 - 21 - 693 26 57
Fax:        +41 - 21 - 693 76 00