Re: Wrong cable for 5110?

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: Wrong cable for 5110?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:07:06 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 05:12:08PM +1000, Stephen Baillie wrote:
> Ok, gnokii compiled from the tarball, and I hooked it up to my 5110
> using the cable that came with it, but all I get from gnokii is:
>
> GNOKII Version 0.5.4
> Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
> Quitting.
>
> I've tried a variety of combinations of different serial ports and
> connection methods, but to no avail.
>
> The cable that came with the 5110 looks like all the ones in the
> diagrams, but has a switch to choose between "F" and "M", which I
> presume are FBUS and MBUS.

Yes.

> Is this the right cable?  Is MBUS the only one that works with a 5110?

No, it should work with fbus. But you can try the MBUS mode too: try
to set connection = m2bus, switch the cable to the M position and try it
again. You can check the following:
* is the connector on your phone clean?
* wheter the switch is correctly in F position
* is the cable plugged perfectly to your phone?

Sometimes gnokii cannot connect to my 6110. In this case I unplug/replug
the cable and it'll work.

Bye,
Bozo