Re: SMS and automatic sender name

From: Phil Ashby
Subject: Re: SMS and automatic sender name
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:29:31 +0100

On Tuesday, June 22, 2004 Ville Mattila wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've built an SMS gateway with gnokii and my old Nokia 6310 with an
> ordinary phone number and sim card. I use it to provide some services
> for my friends and non-commercial organizations. Due the same system is
> used for different services, I 've been thinking if there is a
> possibility to send messages with automatic sender name. I've seen
> systems that have already a sender name - even the number where the
> message is sent from is not in the recipients address book. One example
> is TellusTalk service. The sending phone number should be visibile even
> the name is automatic (TellusTalk hides also the phone number if I
> remember correct).
>
> If this is possible with my configuration and equipment, it would be
> easy to separate messages with different theme and subject.

As far as I know, it is not possible to set the sender name / number from a
normal mobile phone, it is possible via a direct SMSC connection (as used
by providers like TellusTalk, Connection Software, etc.). This usually costs
significant amounts of money, and a legal agreement needs to be established
to make sure the service isn't abused.. Look at Connection Software's
website to see details of such a service:
http://www.csoft.co.uk/replyto/index.htm
..prices are here..
http://www.csoft.co.uk/prices
..it costs 500 UKP per year to have an alpha tag with these guys..

> Thanks for any help!
>
> Ville Mattila

Phil.