Re: Persistent gnapplet connection

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: Persistent gnapplet connection
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:22:46 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:40:02PM +0100, Matthew Kay wrote:
> > Infinite timeout isn't possible, but you can
> > try to set it high enough. The internal representation is usec stored
> > in an int32, so the maximal value is about 2147 sec (35 minutes).
>
> That's cool. However, (and I'm sorry if I'm starting to be a real pain
> at this point) that's not really what I had in mind - I was thinking
> that gnapplet could stay open on the phone semi-permanently. Imagine
> being able to cron a backup of your phone book and calendar (or a
> synchronisation with evolution, say, once someone writes a gnokii plugin
> for opensync) without having to fiddle around with your phone, opening
> gnapplet, in order to make the connection possible.
>
> I appreciate that rewriting the code for an infinite timeout may be very
> tricky and a waste of time. Perhaps there is no way - is it not possible
> to change the units from usecs to msecs, then the maximum timeout would
> be 596 hours? [(2^32) / 2 / 1000 / 60 / 60]

This is the limitation of the RTimer object, but I managed to create
a small workaround. If you specify -1 to the values of the timeout
parameters, it will disable that timeout.

[...]

> My overall point is that it would be really nice to interact with the
> Series 60 phones as if they didn't have this extra server-client
> business going on - then the possibilities for automating
> synchronisation and things like that become much improved.

The series60 phones support SyncML (or you can download the SyncML
application), so you can try any SyncML capable client.

Bye,
Bozo