Re: gnokii & irda problems

From: vittorio
Subject: Re: gnokii & irda problems
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:42:48 +0000

Alle 18:26, venerdì 06 gennaio 2006, Aart Koelewijn ha scritto:
> Op vr, 06-01-2006 te 11:36 +0000, schreef vittorio:
> > I forgot to pinpoint that while at the very beginning of the story I
> > wanted mainly use the 6610i with FreeBSD 6  as an AT-Hayes modem to send
> > and receive faxes only via hylafax, NOW, after having known the features
> > of gnokii I would like to use extensively this package to send/receive
> > SMS mainly.
> >
> > Ciao
> > Vittorio
>
> Hello Vittorio,
>
> I use a Nokia 6610i for a GPRS connection with internet to be able to
> receive and send email with my laptop. I use Linux (Debian). For the
> GPRS connection the command I use is "/usr/sbin/pppd call vodafone" and
> the most important part in the file /etc/ppp/peers/vodafone is:
>
> modem crtscts defaultroute
> /dev/ircomm
> 115200
> connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v TIMEOUT 90 ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR ABORT "NO
> CARRIER" AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK ATD*99***1# CONNECT'
> connect-delay 10
> mtu 1500
> mru 1500
>
> So it is just like using a normal modem, you don't need gnokiid. That is
> somewhere in the docs but you will have to search for it. I never tried
> to send a fax, so know nothing about it.
>
> There is some risc in using Gnokii with a 6610i with irda. I broke my
> phone within a few days and had to sent it to a Nokia service center to
> re-install the firmware. Since then I'm very carefull but I do use smsd
> to archive my sms'ses. As far as I know you can savely use gnokii with
> "model = AT" in gnokiirc, but the functionality is less then. With
> "model = 6610i" you run more risks.
>
> Aart

Hello Aart,
thanks a lot for the juicy,experimented pieces of info.

So I now understand that nokia 6610i has an ordinary AT-Hayes compatible modem
inside (by the way, send-/receiv-(ing) a fax is obtained by using an extended
set of AT commands that I'm sure exists for this cell too!) so I shouldn't
use anything of the gnokiid kind!

So, I'd better focus on making the irda connection work! Now there's something
you said that triggered my curiosity. I have just carefully tried under win
xp the Nokia suite (that I had installed with the irda communication option)
and
1) I see that irda is working by the icons in the panel;
2) the Nokia PC suite also sees the irda and the name of the cell:6610 only
with no other specification
BUT
3) no connection is possible with the cellular phone

Does this in some way resemble the problem you experienced with the corrupted
firmware?

Ciao
Vittorio