From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: a
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:14:58 +0000

> - popup window to answer/cancel the call
>  - addressbook summary of the contact appearing
>   - calendar/todo/notes related to this contact appearing
>    - ...
>    I don't think it is easily doable with RPC.

 it's _very_ easy with DCE/RPC!!

 you use UDP or any other broadcast-based transport as the transport!

 >   With D-BUS you don't need to care of all this endiannes shit.

 endian-ness is _totally_ below the level at which dce/rpc is used.
 the dce/rpc runtime _takes care_ of endian-ness - that's part of
 its job.

 when you use the IDL compiler, you aren't dealing with "endian-ness",
 you're dealing with functions - almost c-code except with essential
 specifiers like [in], [out] and [length_is()] which help save data
 bandwidth.

 d-bus is _very_ very pointless.

 if it came with an IDL compiler, i would understand, rave
 about it, complain about how deeply unsatisfying the IDL syntax, was
 compared to freedce, but i would probably actually _use_ it.

 but there's really _nothing_ in d-bus that a couple of thousand
 lines of code won't replace, and there's _ab_solutely no advantage for
 it.

 i am _so_ angry with the dickheads who created d-bus.

 the opportunity to put in an IDL compiler was lost the moment they
 specified that it was okay to use those _stupid_ data parsing functions
 that even _python_ does better with a) repr and eval b) with that funny
 %-specified data packing stuff it has.

 why lost?  because now you have dozens of projects that use those
 pathetic data parsing functions, you now can't go back: you can't
 retrofit an IDL compiler - the _one_ thing that would make d-bus
 bearable - without having those dozens of projects have to rewrite all
 their code.

 anyway.  this is a bit off-topic and it's unfair to burden gnokii users
 with it.