Re: SIM card number?

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: SIM card number?
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:49:13 +0200

Krzysztof Sniadoch wrote:

> is it possible to get the SIM card number by the gnokii?

if by "SIM card number" you mean the phone number (MSISDN), it is not stored
on the SIM card.

However there is a space reserved to store some numbers as a reminder to the
user, but you can write there any number you want because the network doesn't
use that.

If you use gnokii 0.6.15 or later, you can read memory type "ON", Own Numbers:
gnokii --readphonebook ON 0 end

and write it:
echo "My number;12344567890;ON;0;0" | gnokii --writephonebook --overwrite
gnokii requires a name and I need to specify --overwrite only because I
redirect stdin and I have alreadly stored a number in that location

Note that the first location is "0", not "1" as for other memory types.
It doesn't work on all phones supported by gnokii though.
I tested this on old phones, Nokia 3210, 3310 and 3330, reading it back on an
Alcatel Easy (some handsets allows you to read and write this number form
their menus, those Nokias don't, this Alcatel does).

--
Daniele