gnokii --identify -> SM_Block: exiting the retry loop

From: paulb
Subject: gnokii --identify -> SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:50:28 +0100 (BST)

Dear list

I have a nokia 7250i connected to a FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p11 system via USB
and a OEM DKU-5 cable
I am coming across what appears to be a common issue on the lists, but I
am at a loss as to where to turn as I know next to nothing about
USB/serial comms. (in fact a pointer at usb/serial for dummies would also
be appreciated)

anyway

Whenever I run

$gnokii --identify

---
Connecting
Serial device: opening device /dev/cuad0
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to low
Serial device: setting RTS to high and DTR to high
Serial device: setting speed to 19200
Switching to FBUS mode
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Getting model...
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
---

and the message sending repeats untill

---
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
IMEI         : Unknown
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : Unknown
Product name : Unknown
Revision     : Unknown
Serial device: closing device
---

This is my /root/.gnokiirc file (I can confirm it runs off here as
adjusting this alters output (ie giving an incorrect port device gets
exciting new errors!)

NB - the sample file suggest /dev/cuaa0 but this did not exist - ad0 seems
more Freebsd like, and got me to the point of actually making a serial
connection, so I assume this is a valid setting.

also changed bindir but had no effect

pbrian# cat .gnokiirc | grep -v \# | grep -v ^$
[global]
port = /dev/cuad0
model = 7250i
initlength = default
connection = serial
use_locking = no
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/bin/
[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script]
[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off

possible issues
connection = dku5
whether connection is serial or dku-5 I get same problem (but serial
initialises faster it seems)

model = 7250i
this appears to make no difference as 7250 or 7250i

use_locking = no
or yes again same problem

I am a little stuck and would appreciate any advice, I feel the problem is
around the message sent, as it varies according to model it seems (and
serial/dku5 setting)

thanks in advance

dangerous content by Our AntiVirus and AntiSpam Scanners
and is believed to be clean.

address@hidden