Re: glib dependency

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: glib dependency
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:59:18 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Helge Deller <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I've not developed much for gnokii in that last months, so I'm not sure if
> it's valid that I comment here.

Every comment is valid, useful and appreciated.

> Nevertheless I think it's a bad idea to add a dependency on any "external"
> library.

There are already several but they are optional.

>  gnokii can be used very good in embedded devices and glib would just add
> more (mostly unneeded) resources.
>
>  IMHO, better add functions which provide the functionality you need...

I think this is the huge problem with Open Source development.
Everybody is afraid of the bloat given by dependency on the external
library and reimplements the same functionality :(
I don't think we will avoid dependency on openobex, libsyncml, libical
or libvcard in the near future.
However I gave up idea with a hashtable for the moment: we don't have
that large lists that it would make any real difference. On the other
hand C programming would be much easier when standard library would
offer operations on basic data structures...

take care,
pkot
--
Pawel Kot