Re: SMS reading from Nokia 3120 Classic

From: John Doe
Subject: Re: SMS reading from Nokia 3120 Classic
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 21:40:33 +0000

2009/6/5 Daniele Forsi:

> the cause is that Nokia didn't implement the AT commands ...

Ok, the limited implementation (once again) verified. ;-)

> try the FBUS driver (you need to have run ./configure with libusb
> developer package installed):

Checked and found a package called libusb-dev, version 2:0.1.12-12
installed. Since no new packages have been installed after the last
session, this must have been around when the cvs version was
configured and compiled. I am not too familiar with things going on
under the hood inside these modern Linux systems, but is this how
it should be?

> port = 1
> model = series40
> connection = dku2libusb

.gnokiirc, as modified:

[global]
port = 1
model = series40
initlength = default
connection = dku2libusb
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10
[xgnokii]
allow_breakage = 0
[gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script]
[logging]
debug = on
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off

gnokdir$ ./gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.28cvs
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /home/___/.gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = series40
port = 1
connection = dku2libusb
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Connecting
Serial device: opening device USB
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
Error in link initialisation: 1
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.

Not yet there. But why was I trying with the AT model in the
first place? When plugged in, a device called /dev/ttyACM0 got
automatically created. Default .gnokiirc comments that:

> # port = /dev/ttyACM0
> # the last one will work only with AT driver.

Of course there is a little bit of a controversy between this logic
and what FAQ tells us: "model = series40, if you have Nokia
non-Symbian Series60 phone". (By the way, this led to ponderance
of the possibilities for a Series60, but nonetheless non-Symbian
phones to exist.) And, as we can see, the AT model got the phone
to identify in the first place.

So far 1 partial success and 1 better failure. Not bad - we are
proceeding and I still have an operational phone in my possession.
What should or could be done next?

        -- J.