win32 gnokii failing to talk to a nokia 3310

From: Alexandicity
Subject: win32 gnokii failing to talk to a nokia 3310
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 08:21:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all!

A few months ago I used gnokii (version I forget) on Ubuntu to talk to a Nokia 3310 via an under-battery FBUS interface cable. I think the connection wasn't so good, as half the requests failed, but I was ultimately able to identify and read/write SMSs.

Today, I tried to resume the process from a Windows box (Vista 32bit eugh). Gnokii 0.6.27 installs ok and I configured gnokiirc as I believed appropriate:

    communication = dlr3p
    model = 6150
    port = COM8
the rest I left as defaults. COM8 is the right port. My cable is set to "F" mode (as opposed to "M" mode).

However, gnokii had little luck. Even playing with the settings, I consistently saw the process halt on "Switching to FBUS mode". Going on a tip, I tried using 0.6.20, which looked promising:

C:\Program Files\Arduino\Gnokii>gnokii.exe --config C:\Users\pc\Documents\gnokii
rc.txt --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.20
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file C:\Users\pc\Documents\gnokiirc.txt.
phone instance config:
model: 6510
port_device: com8:
connection_type: 2
init_length: 0
serial_baudrate: 19200
serial_write_usleep: -1
hardware_handshake: 0
require_dcd: 0
smsc_timeout: 100
connect_script:
disconnect_script:
rfcomm_cn: 1
sm_retry: off
Connecting
Serial device: opening device com8:
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to low
Serial device: setting RTS to high and DTR to high
Serial device: setting speed to 19200
Switching to FBUS mode
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Getting model...
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
[Received Ack of type 1b, seq:  0]
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
[Sending Ack of type 0a, seq: 1]
Message received: 0x0a / 0x000a
01 08 00 71 01 00 01 02 03 02                   |    q
Received message type 0a
Unknown subtype of type 0x0a (113)
UNHANDLED FRAME RECEIVED
request: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
reply: 0x0a / 0x000a
01 08 00 71 01 00 01 02 03 02                   |    q
Please read Docs/Bugs and send a bug report!
Message sent: 0x1b / 0x0006
00 01 00 07 01 00                               |
SM_Block: exiting the retry loop
Serial device: closing device
Serial device: opening device com8:
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to low
Error in link initialisation: 4
Telephone interface init failed: Problem occurred internal to model specific cod
e.
Quitting.
Problem occurred internal to model specific code.

At first I was thinking "success! The phone is talking to be! Even if gibberish!". Then I noticed it only worked one time; then I'd need to reset the phone before it would reply again. Then I saw the the replies I was getting seemed to be the same as the messages I was sending. To me, it appears that the phone is simply crossing the Rx and Tx for some time after bootup.

Despite these errors, is 0.6.20 getting further than 0.6.27? Or is 0.6.27 simply suppressing the gibberish?

Anyone seen this or know how to deal with it?

Sent from the gnokii-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.