RE: Timeout when connecting Nokia 6310i using DLR-3P cable

From: Mike Hutchinson
Subject: RE: Timeout when connecting Nokia 6310i using DLR-3P cable
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:10:41 +1200

> Hi to all list members,
>
> I don't get any identification from a Nokiua 6310i. The phone itself is OK (I
> get full reception using a Vodafone SIM) and the serial port is OK, too.
> However, I can't tell for sure whether the DLR-3P cable is OK. How can I
> narrow down the problem further?
>
> Here are the messages I get (on a Debian Lenny AMD64 system):
>
> ===
>
> gnokii --identify
> GNOKII Version 0.6.26
> Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
> Quitting.
> Command timed out.
>
> ===
>
> My serial port settings are
>
> ===
>
> stty < /dev/ttyS0
> speed 19200 baud; line = 0;
> min = 1; time = 0;
> -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
> -opost -onlcr
> -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
>
> ===
>
> My /etc/gnokiirc looks like this
>
> ===
>
> [global]
> model = AT
> #model = 6310i
> port = /dev/ttyS0
> connection = serial
> #connection = dlr3p
> use_locking = no
>
> [logging]
> debug = on
>
> ===
>
> (I also tried the combos
>
> model = 6310i
> connection = dlr3p
>
> model = AT
> connection = dlr3p
>
> model = 6310i
> connection = serial
>
> but none of them worked).

[Michael Hutchinson]

Try:
Model=6310
Connection=dlr3p

You could try dlr3 without the p.
After that it sounds like you might have an issue with the cable. Perhaps use a
terminal emulator to talk to /dev/ttyS0 directly and see if anything responds.
If that doesn't work, can you try plugging the whole thing into another
computer? This may help identify whether the cable is the problem or not.
Do you have an old external modem you can plug into the serial port? You'd have
to set model=AT and connection=serial but at least then you'll see if the COM
port is actually working or not.

Cheers,
Mike