Re: Steep learning curve

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Steep learning curve
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:41:25 +0200

Hi Scot,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 7:40 PM Scot Rogers <scot.a.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:
> My name is Scot and I have a need to be able to send mass sms texts.

Just a disclaimer here: gnokii might not be your choice here. Possibly it is
more reasonable to use mass communication provider, such as Twilio, connect
through an API and use just that. You will have much better througput. With
gnokii you will be limited with serial sending by a single phone (or multiple
phones if you connect them).

> I have a ton of questions.  First, I downloaded and installed the
> software from the Ubuntu repository and it appears to be all there.
> I've started reading some of the info within the package, but I can't
> seem to find any solid guidance.

You need to configure gnokii first to talk to your device by editing
gnokiirc file. You can get some details under:
 - https://gnokii.org/docs.shtml
There is also a decent documentation in the sample gnokiirc:
 - http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnokii.git/tree/Docs/sample/gnokiirc
and you can look through other documentation provided:
 - http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnokii.git/tree/Docs

Our wiki is down for a couple of years but you can also find more detailed
reference at:
 -
https://web.archive.org/web/20170616003101/http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Main_Page
 -
https://web.archive.org/web/20170616014824/http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/User's_Guide
 -
https://web.archive.org/web/20170617085029/http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config
 -
https://web.archive.org/web/20170705093631/http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config_options

> I can't seem to get Xgnokii to launch from the gui, and when I run it
> from terminal, I get an error list revolving around the phone not
> being connected - which it is not.  I don't have a phone, yet.  And

xgnokii would work only with phone connected and configured as far as
I remember.

> I'm not sure how to find a more recent model phone that accepts AT
> commands.   If I can get a proper phone I think it'll help a bit, and
> these old nokia phones are looking harder and harder to find.

I'm afraid I cannot help with this one. Actually I haven't used gnokii
in ages...

Cheers,
--
Pawel Kot