[Gnu-arch-users] Re: snag importing the X11 sources into arch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: snag importing the X11 sources into arch
Date: 18 Aug 2003 12:52:23 +0900

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:
> I need to tag all the files in the tree.

Heh, this becomes more interesting now that I see what xouvert.org is
(courtesy -- though you may not feel the same :-) -- of slashdot).

What method of tagging (and import handling) did you eventually settle on?

I'm curious to hear how arch performs for you guys, given that X11 is
pretty big.  My main experience is with emacs, which is sort of `medium
sized', but even then some implementation details about arch are quite
annoying -- specifically, the long wait and painful disk-thrashing
whenever I do `tla what-changed' [though I have 512MB of RAM, which
makes for a fairly big disk cache], and the way pristine trees eat up
all my disk space unless I'm very careful to prune them back regularly
(but I do want pristine trees so I can use a remote archive and do a
`tla what-changed' without network I/O).

[None-the-less arch's advantages are so great that I'd never go back to
anything like CVS (or even subversion or whatever), and the problems
tend to be implementation deficiencies, not design problems; morever,
these implementation deficiencies seem to be N-days-of-hacking problems,
not rewrite-everything problems.]

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research