Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla gui prototype

From: Michael Grubb
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla gui prototype
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:28:12 -0500

Well,
I have started on this.  I was waiting to announce this until after I
had something more substantial.  I currently have a C# application
that will display archive names & locations, create new archives,
delete old archives, and tag a directory as a project tree.  Now,
before I start another flame war, C# was NOT my first choice.
I had wanted to write it in TCL, but I was having some issues with
output redirection, and seeing as I have friend that has been bugging
me to take a look at the .NET stuff ....   I actually plan on porting
it to Java soon, unless someone has some ideas as how to fix the TCL
output redirection issue I was having (see me off-list for details if
interested)  I am planning on creating an public arch archive of my
work very soon.  If you are interested in the here and now, drop me a
line, and I'll send you a copy of my current sources.

At 04:01 PM 8/25/2003, Zack Brown wrote:

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:03:24AM -0600, Benjamin Bytheway wrote:
> I've also toyed with the idea the last few days of making a GUI for
> tla.  Preliminary, but very useful tools could be built in a matter
> of
> hours using tcl/tk (which is what BK uses).  Such a tool would
> probably
> help the learning curve as well (which I am still climing.)

It sounds like a great idea. To anyone contemplating this: just be
careful not
to fall into the trap of doing what tkdiff and gtkdiff did. The GUI
will need
to do more than just present diffs. It should be able to deal with
combinations
of files and diffs, and allow the user to dynamically resolve
conflicts
and merge the changes. There have been various discussions about this
on
lkml and elsewhere...

Be well,
Zack