[Gnu-arch-users] RE: [OT] Architectural renovation [was: funding free so

From: Barak Zalstein
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] RE: [OT] Architectural renovation [was: funding free software R&D]
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:04:37 +0300

(I'm experimenting top-posting as it seems to be an "industry standard" in most
of the world, and since
this is already [OT], I guess no harm is done).

You mention Visual Basic as an example of non-robust internal architecture yet
the
suggested alternative is at least 3 years later.
VB might be non-ethical to some developers, I don't know.
But it integrates nicely with lookout express and other non-emacs environment
features and time-to-market
is fast enough.
VB might be terrible for future upgrades, but when using an application for a
specific task, you only want one button
to do one thing.
The last time I encountered a (GNU) Emacs GUI I was puzzled by the fact that
the left mouse button is not working, but
the middle mouse button is doing just fine, which is already non-intuitive and
incompatible with the rest of the environment (Note that a fresh install never
comes with a default .emacs file).
This is similar to a point I tried to make earlier: most computer users don't
have a GNU or a Linux background and thus have no reason to look at CVS, arch,
keepbitter, or whatever.
http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FreeSoftwarePrimer implies that a
"slightly inferior, but good enough competitor" has better chances than a more
elegant solution, while the emphasis is on the "get it working now" rather than
"get it perfect later" (my interpretation, cut and paste out of context).

Barak

http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp