[Gnu-arch-users] Re: gnu mail servers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: gnu mail servers
Date: 30 Aug 2003 08:07:15 +0900

John Goerzen <address@hidden> writes:
> > I've sent some messages through gnu mail servers: they are all still
> > waiting to be delivered after 30 hours.
>
> FWIW, I have observed similar lengthy delays.

A recent FSF status update makes the following point:

    Imagine how many Internet-connected Windows boxes have ever stored an
    @gnu.org, @fsf.org, or @prep.ai.mit.edu email address on their hard
    drives.  Now, imagine each of them sending constant email to those
    addresses in a multi-threaded way, and you'll get an idea of the load
    on the GNU/FSF mail servers that SoBig.F has caused.  Our sysadmin has
    been baby-sitting the server and the mail queue to make sure that
    legitimate mail gets through, SoBig.F traffic doesn't, and that the
    system doesn't fall over completely.  This has taken substantial time
    away from the crack recovery tasks.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.