[Gnu-arch-users] RE: [OT] fixing emacs

From: Barak Zalstein
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] RE: [OT] fixing emacs
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:53:50 +0300

> I'll start a download of xemacs tonight before turning in.
Even before thinking about xemacs internal architecture, there are some
noticeable
problems to the untrained eye:

1. Long download and install time.
The natural download choice for me was the  precompiled binary
(http://xemacs.org/Download/win32/setup.exe) and I'm not sure how latest and
greatest it is (newer is not always better, but frequent releases make better
impression).
Even though there are lot of packages to be downloaded, extracted, and
installed by the automatic installer, it just makes more sense to be able to
download a large executable to local HD and then run it with faster response
time.
2. GNU vendor "lock-in" .
I don't have lots of customizations, but the automatic .emacs migration
was a failure (it doesn't know about set-background-color function, running
gnus results in nntp error).
I think that it is reasonable to expect from a user to ditch the evaluation
when missing a feature already accustomed to.
3. A "Superstition" aspect mentioned earlier.
If you want to bring new users, how can one handle the approach of
"I already have an editor/browser/MUA etc., why should I learn this one?" .
Education and preaching will not help.

(replace editor and vendor with your favorite application examples).

As for the language wars, even though LISP is considered better in various
fields for many years now (in my context:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ludemannCzw2Hy.B8y%40netcom.com&oe=utf-8&output=gplain),
 the tendency is to use building blocks that already exist (having years of
implementation behind those building blocks,
the question of considering a new implementation architecture becomes almost
irrelevant).

Barak.