Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Fwd: SourceForge.net Service Update: CVS]

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Fwd: SourceForge.net Service Update: CVS]
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zack Brown <address@hidden>

The original question was "why isn't CVS dead yet" and among other
suggested answers I offered:

    > On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:39:01PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
    > > nowadays I think
    > > there's an ego competition about who kills CVS and BK among free
    > > software projects -- and that's really slowing things down quite a
    > > bit.

Zack says:

    > I haven't noticed that. Yes, there are multiple projects. And yes, the
    > developers of project A think that project A is the way to go. But
    > that's not the same as there being an ego competition.

    > [....]

    > I don't see any ego involved, beyond the normal know-it-allism that
pervades
    > the geek community.

So, there isn't except where there is?

Ok, sure, I cry uncle.   I admit it's a silly thread and not worth
persuing too far.

         > As far as I can tell, the quest for the revision control
         > system of the future is proceeding according to the natural
         > laws of open source software development. And tla seems to
         > be bubbling to the top. But who knows?  Maybe darcs, with
         > it's simplicity and ease of use, will take the prize.

         > But where is the ego? All I see are a bunch of projects
         > trying to solve problems.

I'm not so sure that any "natural laws" of open source software
development have been shown to exist.

"Trying to solve problems" glosses over the question of _which_
problems and _why_those_ problems.   I don't see how "trying to solve
a problem" rules out the presence of ego.