[Gnu-arch-users] SCM vs CM

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] SCM vs CM
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:35:00 -0500

>>>>> "Neal" == Neal D Becker <address@hidden> writes:
Neal>
Neal> There is a lot of momentum at my company to move to clearcase.  One
Neal> of the arguments in favor of this is that clearcase offers a complete
Neal> configuration management (CM) solution, as opposed to source code
Neal> management (SCM).
Neal>
Neal> It's not clear to me what that means.  What sorts of things are
Neal> needed for CM that are not addressed by a SCM tool, such as gnu-arch?

Just for fun, you should ask the people who make that argument what they
mean.  (They may not know what they mean when they say it.)

>From what I've seen, it normally means that you can track requirements and
fixes through the code to your final product.  No doubt it helps with ISO
documentation requirements.  (Because creating software is just like
manufacturing. [Rolls eyes])

In my day job, my project doesn't use the ClearCase CM framework at all.
Some other projects do.

http://www.rational.com/products/scm.jsp gives you the ClearCase view of CM.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above