[Gnu-arch-users] Re: practical questions of archive ownership

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: practical questions of archive ownership
Date: 01 Oct 2003 14:48:09 +0900

Charles Duffy <address@hidden> writes:
> There certainly is no reason why archives aren't /right now/ writable by
> more than one person; indeed, that works fine right now (I believe the
> tutorial calls it the update/commit method of cooperation). However,
> it's rarely used -- because it's not what most users of arch find in
> practice the most convenient and natural way to work.

I think Joshua's initial point was good though -- current arch-using
projects that I'm aware of do seem to have a strong maintainer who's in a
natural place to pull from other's archives.  There are also technical
reasons why the pull model is nice: it avoids issues of how to allow
multiple people write-access to the same archive (it's often much easier
to find ways to allow anonymous read access).

Still, I'm curious what will happen in the future with emacs and other
projects where there _isn't_ a strong central maintainer, and where the
notion of a gate-keeper for the canonical sources is unlikely to be
acceptable.  It may be that, as now, people do initial development/testing
in their own archive/branch, but merge into a shared central
archive/branch.

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)