Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FL-COW ...

From: Davide Libenzi
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] FL-COW ...
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 18:13:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Miles Bader wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 05:24:00PM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> > It works fine here, used to replicate kernel source with cp -al and
> > working on it (diff+patch+emacs).
>
> Yeah, but using those programs, things will work fine even without FL-COW.
>
> [Or do you set `backup-by-copying' to t in your .emacs?]

I like to be sure that my environment does the right thing. In my case
would result in a missing patch hunk, while with tla there might be more
serious problems. In emacs I do not use backup files, that's why it
corrupts hard links. I'm not 100% sure but I think that none of these
tools handle the concept of hard links, and if they do the right thing
(COW) is only because of the particular sequence of operations they do.
(Now it's in my .bashrc)

- Davide