Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: designing how to kill pristine trees

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: designing how to kill pristine trees
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:55:23 +0900

    Robert> Currently there is no metadata to examine for the
    Robert> library. Why add such stuff to examine and review when
    Robert> it's not needed?

    Robert> I don't see any downside to having a library and a cache:
    Robert> the cache can link from the library after all.

In other words, the library is the wrong place for the meta data; by
having a separate location for the cache, the location is all the meta
data you need?  So basically the library code is completely
independent of everything else (except for straightforward use of
do-patch in constructing a revision), while the changeset manipulating
code has a search path, first in looks in the cache, then in the
revision library?  I guess that's simple enough for me.

The only issue I can see is that for good semantics you'd want hard
links, right?  Otherwise doing library-remove would yank the rug out
from under the cache, with annoying checks for dangling symlinks and
repeated gets of stuff you'd thought you'd cached.