Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fixing selected commit [commit, undo, --except]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fixing selected commit [commit, undo, --except]
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:22:22 -0400

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:50:19PM +0200, Denys Duchier wrote:
> > Is "--abort" intended for "dry run" functionality?
>
> Essentially, yes.  It's sort of a dry run with extreme prejudice :-)
>
> --dry-run should normally be designed to simulate full execution of
> the command and provide useful feedback.  My --abort is perhaps one
> step in that direction: it lets _most_ of the command _actually_ run
> and then shoots the process in the head before it does anything
> stupid :-)

I presumed that --abort was for your own use in debugging your changes, and
would be deleted before merging.  If you _do_ intended on merging it, please
do give a better name though (`--dry-run' seems reasonable to me).

[Along the same lines, perhaps commit could also support what-changed's
`--changeset' option to allow outputing the changset to a file instead of
committing it (it's not entirely redundant with what-changed, because commit
makes slightly different changesets -- the docs should make this clear, of
course).]

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.