RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Java is fun!

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Java is fun!
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:14:53 -0500

Given the history of Microsoft's Java VM and Sun's Java VM, this is a vain
expectation.  Various Java implementations at various times have provided a
way to break out of the "sandbox".  A basic rule of thumb is if something
uses a network transport and is written by Microsoft and runs on a Microsoft
OS, then remote exploitation is possible.  This is true of Outlook, Internet
Explorer, SQLServer, Exchange, Office, the MS Java VM, etc.

Microsoft related:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-011.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-069.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS02-052.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS00-075.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS00-059.asp
For a complete list of just MS issues, see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
current.asp?productid=36&servicepackid=0&submit1=go&isie=yes.

Sun related:
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/l-032.shtml

Sun Alert Notifications:
1. The Java Runtime Environment Might Allow an Untrusted Java Class to Call
Into a Disallowed Java Class
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 24493   100%      22 Jan 2002
2. Incorrect Certificate Validation in Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE),
Java Plug-In and Java Web Start
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 50081   66%               24 Jan 2003
3. Security Vulnerability in Java(TM) Runtime Environment "zlib" Compression
Library
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 48761   61%               22 Nov 2002
4. Java SDK and JRE URLConnection Should Perform Checks on Request Headers
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 43298   58%               9 May 2002
5. Security Vulnerability in Java(TM) Runtime Environment Bytecode Verifier
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 43546   58%               9 May 2002
6. Session IDs Generated by Java Web Server 2.0 and Java Web Server 1.x are
Prone to Spoofing
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 24492   52%               22 Jan 2002
7. The Java JIT for Microsoft Windows Fails to run on Intel Pentium 4
Platforms
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 25363   52%               22 Jan 2002
8. Java(TM) Web Start Applications May Gain Access to Restricted Resources
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 43544   50%               21 Mar 2002
9. Java VM Allows Constructors not to Call Other Constructors
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 49304   50%               12 Dec 2002
10. Java Application Might Modify Command Array, Leading to Potential
Security Risk
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 25610   47%               19 Jul 2002
11. Java Virtual Machine (JVM) May Crash Due to Vulnerability in the Java
Media Framework (JMF)
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 54760   47%               14 May 2003
12. Java Runtime Environment May Allow an Untrusted Applet to Access the
System Clipboard
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 40705   38%               22 Jan 2002
13. Potential Security Issue in ServerSocket.accept()
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 23604   25%               22 Jan 2002
14. Timing Based Attack Vulnerabilities in the Java Secure Socket Extention
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 56380   19%               28 Aug 2003
15. Netscape Browser Allows Malicious Applets to Read Data From Local Files
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 23665   13%               22 Jan 2002
16. Java Virtual Machine May Allow Illegal Access to Protected Fields or
Methods
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 50083   13%               24 Jan 2003
17. An Untrusted Applet may Access Information From a Trusted Applet
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 55100   11%               5 Jun 2003
18. An Untrusted Applet may Access Restricted Resources
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 55101   11%               6 Jun 2003
19. Explorer Data Collector Version 4.0 and Earlier on Sun Fire
3800/4800/4810/6800 may not Provide FRU ID Information
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 51769   8%                26 Mar 2003
20. A Vulnerability in JRE May Allow an Untrusted Applet to Escalate
Privileges
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 57221   8%                21 Oct 2003
21. Floating Point Registers May Be Incorrect After Signal Processing
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 26588   5%                11 Jul 2002
22. Security Vulnerabilities with the SNMP Protocol and Sun Products
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 43704   2%                15 Aug 2002
23. Sun Enterprise Systems With Recently Manufactured UltraSPARC II MSRAM
Modules May Experience CPU Failures
        Free Sun Alert Notifications: 50474   2%                15 Aug 2003

Sun Security Bulletins:
1. Sun Security Bulletins #134
        Sun Security Bulletins: 134   100%      30 May 1991
2. Double Free bug in zlib compression library
        Sun Security Bulletins: 220   88%       19 Nov 2002
3. HttpURLConnection
        Sun Security Bulletins: 216   80%       5 Mar 2002
4. Bytecode Verifier
        Sun Security Bulletins: 218   80%       13 May 2002
5. Potential security issue in class loading
        Sun Security Bulletins: 199   64%       29 Nov 2000
6. Java Runtime Environment unauthorized command execution
        Sun Security Bulletins: 201   64%       18 Jun 2001
7. Java(TM) Web Start
        Sun Security Bulletins: 217   60%       1 Apr 2002
8. Swing
        Sun Security Bulletins: 208   52%       24 Oct 2001
9. Java Web Server
        Sun Security Bulletins: 197   48%       30 Aug 2000

Or, for CIAC's list of 28 vulnerabilities that touch Java is some way, see
http://www.ciac.org/cgi-bin/webglimpse/www/htdocs/ciac/archive?query=java&er
rors=0&age=&maxfiles=50&maxlines=30.