Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:40:24 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Samium Gromoff wrote:

> At Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:21:35 +0100 (CET),
> Pau Aliagas wrote:
> >

> > Does anybody think that we should try to do something RSN to promote the
> > adoption of arch in the development of the linux kernel? Linux 2.7 is
> > about to appear and it would be great if new developers could adopt arch
> > as their default SCM.
>
> Yes that would be great.

So let's go for it :)

> > -add performance hooks addressed to expert users (sorry for the
> >  self-promotion, it's not on purpose :)
> >  * sparse revision libraries
> >  * hard-linked trees
>
> I remember somebody reporting terrible performance while committing
> a single changeset to the linux repository; something like 20 minutes.

He was using tla-devo-1.0 without the inode signatures optimization.
These are the things that should make into a decent howto :)

> Also some more effort should be put into decent GUI tools (yeah, i`m
> promoting myself here too, not on purpose as well :-)
> So far it didn`t seem there is any observable interest to work on that.

We have a few already, not that I use them, but they are nice selling
arguments

Maybe we would need 3-way patch mgraphical erging tools, ala be-kaym
latough I'd prefer vi modes (or emacs now that I'm learning).

> > Too early? Don't care? Comments?
>
> The problem i see here is that there is one major obstacle for folks to
> go the arch way: Linus not using it as well.
>
> Therefore they have to go in all sorts of trouble with the arch<->patch<->bk
> patch translation process.

It would make things easier for other developers that aggregate other
developers' efforts and so on. The goal would be to make working with the
kernel using arch better than sliced bread... world domination would be
just a step away. I can think of Andrew Morton, Andrea Arcangeli, Marcelo
Tossati and many kernel tree that hang around that could benefit
immediately of this availability. Think of people at Redhat/Fedora, Suse
and Debian reapplying patches every time. Let's make a good case for them
and pragmatism should make decisions obvious.

Pau