Re: [Gnu-arch-users] conflicts during replay

From: Ron Gorodetzky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] conflicts during replay
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:07:46 -0800

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 18:46, Ron Gorodetzky wrote:
> Second, and this is more fundamental, it is somewhat unclear to me how
> exactly to merge the .rej file in such a way to allow tla to continue
> it's work.  My previous revision control experience is with CVS and when
> there is a conflict with say, update, the conflict would show up in the
> file, you'd resolve them by hand and run update again to finish the
> update.  Now that is about the extant of my experience with
> diffs/patches that don't apply cleanly.  But with tla I get the .rej
> files and I'm not sure where to merge the changes so that I can run tla
> replay and have it work.  Subsequent calls to replay seems to just raise
> more conflicts (I also tried it with the -N option).  I've never had to
> really play around to much with patches so it's not obvious to me how to
> work through this problem.  I seemed to be able to merge the .rej file
> using wiggle, but after that I wasn't sure how to apply the patches.
>
> I've also noticed that the log-for-merge output of subsequent
> star-merges lists some of the same patches.  Am I doing something wrong
> or am I just misreading the output.

ok, so I think I understand some of my confusion.  I thought that if a
replay failed then that meant that it didn't actually apply.  So now I
think I understand the manual conflict resolution a little more
clearly.  After I fix the conflicts I'm supposed to apply the _next_
patch, not finish applying the 'failed' patch. right?

But I'm still at a loss as to how the conflict got into the archive in
the first place and how do I keep it from getting in the way of people
star-merging or getting previous revisions.

-Ron