Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 22:44:15 -0500

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:19:58PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > and (2) specified per category.
>
> That would kind of invalidate the consistency among projects...

So?  It seems far more useful to be able to _change_ which branch is
`distinguished' (by just changing CAT/=default-branch or whatever).

Having a fixed, distinguished, branch is inflexible.

> > I'll further note that which branch is the default, when used for saving
> > typing or whatever, often differs for different users, so in fact, maybe
> > this is the sort of thing that would be better relegated to a user
> > initfile somewhere (perhaps using an archive default as a backup).
>
> This doesn't make sense; the default branch is associated with the
> project, not with the user.

Why?  Certainly if the user hasn't specified anything, then there's no choice
but to use a category default, or no default, but certainly I periodically
change which branch I consider my `main' branch.  If your main aim is to save
people some typing, then you should try to be flexible in what you support,
no?  Who exactly _is_ this proposal aimed at?  Just newbies doing `tla get'?

> >   tla star-merge address@hidden/tla-...
>
> I think that's an excellent indication of a usability problem.

Perhaps so, but a good solution isn't clear (certainly your idea of a
default branch doesn't help).

> By the way, with my star-merge patch should fix at least this example,
> presuming your archive is tagged from Tom's.

Yes, I think this is a good change -- I almost always star-merge from the
branch I'm tagged from.

-Miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson