Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes in address@hidden, and star-merge an

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes in address@hidden, and star-merge and update/replay defaults
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:38:35 -0600

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 14:12, Colin Walters wrote:
> There's just a difference between saying, "here, run this command to do
> FOO", and "here, download this script, put it somewhere, make sure it's
> executable, and then run it whenever you want to do FOO".  It's not a
> huge difference, but I think that whenever you find scripts like that
> are necessary, it's a bug.

Might I submit that that's perhaps an *operating system* usability
problem?

After all, let's say that you had an OS where users had private
namespaces and union mount capability (not an unheard-of pair of
features). So, you tell your users to "union mount
webdav://my-project.sf.net/usage-scripts/ over /bin" and then, if they
trust you enough to do that, they've suddenly got all the extra commands
you want to provide available to them -- no download/put-it-somewhere/
check-permissions steps involved.

So... if you want to call "$FOO isn't usable enough" to be a bug...
perhaps the bug isn't app-level here.