Re: [Gnu-arch-users] minor extension to arch protocol

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] minor extension to arch protocol
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:20:09 +0900

    Tom> It's as if programs like bash are now regarded as "carved in
    Tom> stone and handed down through the ages" rather than
    Tom> "something we can improve upon."

C'mon, Tom, you know that's a straw man.

This cheap shot weakens your otherwise powerful argument for the
position that while it is expensive to deal with the issue presented
by the shells, losing the namespace partitioning property would cause
a cascade of complexity that will also be expensive.  Sure, that's not
enough to "beat" Colin in a straight out cost-benefit arch vs the
shells bout.  But don't let people think you fear that comparison.

The point is that anybody who's been around for a while has run into
similar issues and knows how they can interact and add up.  That makes
it worth taking a stand for an elegant design even if those used to
mainline habits find it rather quirky.